Iron is one of those things that life needs, it’s at the heart of many proteins such as the hemoglobin in your blood. But getting that sweet, sweet ferrous metal is not always so easy. That’s why many creatures have evolved to use special chemical compounds known as siderophores (Greek for iron carrier). Siderophores are produced within the cell and then released into the extracellular environment where they bind to iron ions, helping to solubilize them and thus transfer them into the cell. Enterobactin (pictured above) is a particularly potent siderophore that works somewhat like the claw in one of those games where you try and retrieve a stuffed animal. In this case the oxygen atoms surround and bind to the iron atom to form metal-ligand bonds.
via tumblr http://genefish.tumblr.com/post/20474963063
Spring is underway! Which means yet another quarter of Shellfish Biology and lots of fun field trips with vans full of undergrads. My first goal of the month is to be a good TA and teach my students lots of fun facts about aquatic invertebrates. They’ve already started their independent projects and some of them look to be really interesting.
The revisions on my larval oyster and OA paper are due on Sunday. Over the next few days I’m going to make final revisions on the manuscript and then resubmit. Fingers crossed that my reviewers are happy with the changes.
Once the oyster paper is back in, I’m going to start working on the manuscript I wrote a draft of for Bioniformatics. It’s a gene discovery paper in larval pinto abalone. It still needs a bit of work, but at least I have a basic structure already written up.
I would like to make some progress on the samples that I collected at Friday Harbor for The Big Experiment. This could be either moving forward with processing samples for proteomics or figuring out what I’m going to do about transcriptomics. I also want to figure out what to do about exploring the effects of OA on shell structure for this same experiment.
via tumblr http://genefish.tumblr.com/post/20473794138
Today was the first day that I had been within the estuary during a storm and I have to tell you how different the experience was compared to the first couple days of fair weather. The winds were gusting up to 50mph from the South in some areas leaving exposed hands or face to be instantly frozen. Beside from the annoyances of constant rain and harsh winds the work is easily doubled for each site. Normally the nets are not to much trouble to simply flake them onto the beach and begin the seining but with strong winds the net is picked up into the air and this causes the lead lines (bottom) of the net to flip over the floats. Once this happens there is only a minute or two to correct the problem or the set will have to be redone or discarded as the trapped fish will easily find the hole in the net and escape. While the sampling is more difficult during rough weather it is still a blast because you are working with a team and everyone is experiencing and working through the same thing.
Also of note, I have a newly found appreciation for sunny days.
-I thought this was very fascinating.
This photo shows a juvenile chum salmon with an almost fully motile sea lice infection. This juvenile was caught near point number 7 on the Site Map (South Bay Forest).
The video shows what it is like to travel from site to site during rough weather, the video has been cropped to reduce the “shaky” motion. What you can not see in the video is the amount of rain that is coming down.
from Internship Journal – Salmon Estuary Habitat Use http://bit.ly/HN9jbs
via tumblr http://genefish.tumblr.com/post/20453160858
March 28th – Rough Weather http://bit.ly/HN9jbs | Derek in the Field
via tumblr http://genefish.tumblr.com/post/20452633441
Habitat Use/Site Maps http://bit.ly/HRteso
via tumblr http://genefish.tumblr.com/post/20451311382
March 28th http://bit.ly/HXIoc6
via tumblr http://genefish.tumblr.com/post/20449109198
March 27 – Wynoochee river http://bit.ly/HbrN9l
via tumblr http://genefish.tumblr.com/post/20449107825