Yaamini’s Notebook: Manchester Day 21

We’re officially halfway through our pH treatment window!

Laura and I did the following today:

  • Water chemistry sampling: 1L grab samples and bottle samples
  • I siphoned fecal matter out of tanks while Laura rinsed the Olys with freshwater
  • Cleaned filters
  • Bleached algal lines
    • Modification to procedure: 20 mL of bleach into 6 L of water, then run a full bucket of freshwater through to ensure bleach is completely washed through lines
  • Laura installed a water alarm in the large header tank, but the water is so turblent in there that it doesn’t work the way we want it to
  • Moved probes between tanks

When cleaning oysters, I found a completely dead (not mostly dead C. gigas in Tank 3. I could tell it was dead because it was gaping even when out of the water.


Figure 1. Dead oyster from tank 3 (left) next to another alive oyster (right). Oysters that are dead will continue to gape out of the water when compared with their living counterparts.

We also found a couple of fat and happy polychaete worms on a few oysters. My hands were really wet at the time so I couldn’t snap a picture, but I did manage to get a photo of another baby anemone I found on an oyster. I’m not sure where these polychaetes came from, since we thoroughly cleaned the oysters last week.

img_6995Figure 2. Baby anemone found on an oyster. This is the second anemone I have found.

PSRF upped the feeding to 500 mL of Reed’s Shellfish Diet per day (roughly 2 billion cells per milliliter spread out between six culture tanks and the two larger C. gigas tanks on the bottom). The tanks were a little too dark and we think the extra algae might be modifying water chemistry, so we asked them to drop it down to 450 mL daily.

Things I need to do by Monday:

  • Update chemistry data spreadsheet
  • Get PSRF to poison samples while Laura and I are at NSF
  • Write up a protocol for Grace and Olivia to follow on 3/29

from the responsible grad student http://ift.tt/2mNvexX