Screening day and more! Things went very smoothly today. Grace, Olivia and I make a good team.
- Banjos very dirt, a few pseudo-clogged. Due to heavy use of Tet algae.
- HL-10 Ambient, which spawned, banjo overflowing but luckily lots was caught in an empty trio pour that was sitting adjacent to the catchment bucket
Screened larvae (Olivia, Grace, and me).
- Mortality ranged dramatically between groups. Very high mortality in the following groups: – SN-6 Low 180um – lots of ciliates present – SN-10 Low 224um, 180um – lots of ciliates present – NF-10 Low 224um, 180um
Collected new larvae, counted, stocked, and sampled. Grace did the majority of this process today.
Cleaned gigas (Olivia)
- Drained all three tanks, cleaned with vortex- LOTS of stringy stuff in the top tank w/o animals. I now am certain that the mucus is a result of the Reed’s paste, and not coming from the animals:
- Rinsed gigas, checked for morts – there were none.
- Refilled tanks, then turned off flow and allowed header temp to increase.
- Grace adjusted flow for 1.2 L/Min on each side.
- Increased set point temp to 21degC.
- Fed with 490mL Reed’s paste
- Installed new pump (had been using small PSRF pump).
Cleaned Broodstock (Olivia):
- First, recorded broodstock location on manifold
- [image here]
- Dumped all broodstock & larval catchment buckets, rinsed oysters, cleaned buckets with vortex.
Larval experiment water change:
Katherine recommends having 5 replicates.
- [insert Katherine’s post here]
- I heeded her advice, and thus split my 3 reps into 5 via the following:
- Assuming 800 larvae in each tripour, total # larvae per treatment = 800*3 = 2,400
- Larvae per rep for 5-reps = 2,400/5 = 480
- larvae to remove from each tripour = 800-480 = 320. Split these up into 2 new silos = 160 larvae per new silo per triplicate
- How this was done:
- Set 2 new silos in FSW. Label with designated treatment group.
- Working 1 silo at a time, transfer larvae to a tripour, fill to 200mL
- mL needed per new silo = 800 larvae/200 mL = 4 larvae/mL, 160 larvae / l/mL = 40 mL
- Plunge 20 times, pour 40mL into 2 falcon tubes. Add the contents into the two silos.
- Repeat with other 2 triplicates.
- 2 new silos will have 160*3 larvae = 480
- Original silos will have 800-(2*160) = 480
- New setup:
- Changed water.
- Filled a 5-gal bucket with 18L.
- Harvested 450mL Tiso, CGW & counted density:
- Mimicking Katherine’s experiment, I will sample & image larvae on Thursday 6/22 (day 7), then also on 6/29 (day 14)
- Reminder: I’m working with the 4 treatment groups in the South Sound (SN) population.
current summary data: