Laura’s Notebook: Manchester, 7/5 & 7/6

We are now running like a well oiled machine, employing progessive assembly practices.

Anyone want to check out my spawning data to date?

image

7/5 low impact day

  • Rinsed all downwellers
  • Fed growth exp image
  • New larvae: image

7/6 High impact day. The dream team did a fantastic job today, finishing tasks in RECORD TIME.

Screened larvae

data TBD (once digitized)

Olivia TCB’d it

  • Vacuumed gigas
  • Rinsed all downwellers, outside and inside, with fresh water
  • Cleaned broodstock, did not re-configure

Flush larval table with fresh water

Hooked up fresh water line to the large, center table that houses the larvae and SN/NF broodstock. Over the course of ~1 hr, I ran fresh water through every valve for ~10 minutes per valve.

Checked out SN & NF setters in the outside tank

It is not feasible to quantify # of live setters at this point, but here is some qualitative info:

  • SN10 Low No visible live at any stage 😦
  • SN10 Ambient No visible live at any stage 😦
  • Mixed SN10 A couple, but compared to the # stocked (~35K), very, very few
  • SN6 Low A few
  • SN6 Ambient A couple
  • NF6 Low A couple
  • NF6 Ambient Quite a few!
  • NF10 Low A few
  • NF10 Ambient Quite a few!

New larvae

I surreptitiously stocked 200k larvae from the SN10 Ambient group, since that larval bucket was all but empty, and I saw very, very few (possibly no) larvae that had survived through to setting.
image

from The Shell Game http://ift.tt/2szR9s1
via IFTTT

Laura’s Notebook: Manchester 7/3

Screening day, preserved growth exp. larvae, changed growth exp water, collected new, cleaned downwellers.

Just me and Grace today, but all was very manageable.

Cleaned outside downwellers

Again, green film is clogging the silos; rinsed with fresh. Lesson learned: do NOT use tetraselmis algae (the green one). It’s large, and clogges everything. I spoke with Stuart, and he has agreed to not feed any of my system Tet moving forward.

Screened larvae

Larvae numbers are dwindling. High mortality last week, as well as minimal newly spawned larvae, equals extremely low counts. [screening data here as soon as I digitize]

New Larvae

image I had previously planned to cease stocking new larvae on 6/30, BUT this group, NF10 Low, had an enormously high mortality event so I opted to keep these ~40k larvae and move them through to (hopefully) set.

Water change on SN growth exp

image

Transferred all SN growth exp larvae into tubes for safe keeping

As advised by Katherine, I had Grace transfer all the SN growth experiment sampled larvae from 6/22 & 6/29 into labeled tubes. Grace labeled them with date and well #; well #’s corresponding treatment and rep are located on my master larval data spreadsheet. NOTE: I do not have saved larvae from time 0 (6/15), as I did not have the forethought to do so.

Running list of lessons learned:

  • trust but verify
  • be explicit
  • avoid Tetraselmis
  • cull all groups

Consideration: was it necessary to have 2 spawning groups per treatment, given the long time-frame? AKA is it realistic that one male would fertilize all females over 2 months?

from The Shell Game http://ift.tt/2u1NgR7
via IFTTT

Katie’s Notebook: Histology identification and To-Do list

7/7/17
1) Finished staging all of the pictures I took of Laura’s slides and inputed the information into the details section of all of the “low” images on the google drive

2) Identified the tissues on the cassettes that Sam is going to be using based on Laura’s original pictures and her histology key just as I did when I was imaging them. These labeled slides can be lined up with the cassettes to identify which oysters are which!
Histology Slides 1
Histology Slides 2

I took pictures of all the histology slides and cassettes, so I will work on going through and labeling all of Laura’s slides properly to make a usable new key.

3) TO DO LIST FOR THE NEXT WEEK OR SO:
-Stage all of Grace’s post-overwintering histology images and add that information to her google drive.
-Create an excel document with all the oysters from both the post-temperature and post-OA treatments, their, and their maturity stage. This can be used to sort the images and compare treatments/locations.
-Create some example figures for how this information can be sorted in different ways.
-Original cassette orientation/slide matching to create new histology sample key for the post-OA slides.

This To-Do list should allow me to start making observations across treatments!