Ran the four Tanner crab RNA samples that I isolated yesterday on the Seeb Lab Bioanalyzer 2100 (Agilent) using the RNA Pico 6000 Kit.
Samples were run following kit protocol:
- Chip priming station in Position C with syringe clip at top position
- RNA denatured at 70C for 2mins and stored on ice.
- RNA ladder aliquot was from 20160826 by Hollie Putnam.
from Grace’s Lab Notebook https://ift.tt/2vqEx9f
Today’s hilarious labwork fail
With the Thermomixer I borrowed from Genome Sciences, I was ready to test the PAXgene Tissue DNA Kit with one of my pre-treatment samples!
I first grabbed the histology block with 5 notches from the storage container. Note to self: wiggle the drawer as you pull it open! The histology blocks tend to get stuck.
Figure 1. Histology block with four tissues from pre-treatment sampling
Once I had the block, I needed to scrape no more than 20 mg, or 0.02 g of tissue out.
Figure 2. Weighed 0.02 g (20 mg) of tissue embedded in paraffin
Figure 3. Tissue samples in histology block after scraping out sample
I transferred the tissue from the weigh boat to a 2 mL tube. The next step was to add 1 mL of xylene to my sample. We usually use the Young lab’s xylene, so I went over to their fume hood. However, the only xylene bottle they had was actually a xylene waste bottle! I probably should have checked this myself instead of going from Sam’s word…whoops. Sam’s now ordering xylene, and I’ll have to put this process on hold once more.
from the responsible grad student https://ift.tt/2vsQE5P
The last month of this academic year :0
Since I got back from vacation mid-July, I didn’t make a July Goals notebook entry. Here’s an update about what I’ve done the past month + a few weeks!
- I FINISHED AND SUBMITED THIS PAPER BEFORE MY BRAINS EXPLODED!
- Decided to adjust the repository after we get reviewer comments
- Received PAXgene DNA kit for extractions
- Finish addressing reviewer comments and send manuscript back to JSR
- Test DNA extraction protocol
- Extract broodstock DNA
- Finish gene enrichment analysis
- Update methods section
- Write results, discussion, introduction, conclusion…I guess I should finish the paper
- Draft PCSGA talk!
- Fill vacant FINS positions
- Create SEAS microaggression training
from the responsible grad student https://ift.tt/2uXA9Og
In a continued attempt to figure out what we can do about the tanner crab RNA, Steven tasked me with using an RNeasy Kit to cleanup some existing RNA.
Here’re the samples grace provided:
Tanner crab RNA has proved a bit troublesome. As such, Steven asked me to try isolating some RNA using the RNeasy Plus Mini Kit (Qiagen) to see how things would turn out.
Grace provided me with the following samples: