Sam’s Notebook: Bioanalyzer – Tanner Crab RNA Isolated with RNeasy Plus Mini Kit

0000-0002-2747-368X

Ran the four Tanner crab RNA samples that I isolated yesterday on the Seeb Lab Bioanalyzer 2100 (Agilent) using the RNA Pico 6000 Kit.

Samples were run following kit protocol:

  • Chip priming station in Position C with syringe clip at top position
  • RNA denatured at 70C for 2mins and stored on ice.
  • RNA ladder aliquot was from 20160826 by Hollie Putnam.

Grace’s Notebook: Sample Spreadsheet Samples For Sam D26

from Grace’s Lab Notebook https://ift.tt/2vqEx9f
via IFTTT

Yaamini’s Notebook: Gigas Broodstock DNA Extraction

Today’s hilarious labwork fail

With the Thermomixer I borrowed from Genome Sciences, I was ready to test the PAXgene Tissue DNA Kit with one of my pre-treatment samples!

I first grabbed the histology block with 5 notches from the storage container. Note to self: wiggle the drawer as you pull it open! The histology blocks tend to get stuck.

img_9324

Figure 1. Histology block with four tissues from pre-treatment sampling

Once I had the block, I needed to scrape no more than 20 mg, or 0.02 g of tissue out.

img_9325

Figure 2. Weighed 0.02 g (20 mg) of tissue embedded in paraffin

img_9326

Figure 3. Tissue samples in histology block after scraping out sample

I transferred the tissue from the weigh boat to a 2 mL tube. The next step was to add 1 mL of xylene to my sample. We usually use the Young lab’s xylene, so I went over to their fume hood. However, the only xylene bottle they had was actually a xylene waste bottle! I probably should have checked this myself instead of going from Sam’s word…whoops. Sam’s now ordering xylene, and I’ll have to put this process on hold once more.

// Please enable JavaScript to view the comments powered by Disqus.

from the responsible grad student https://ift.tt/2vsQE5P
via IFTTT

Yaamini’s Notebook: August 2018 Goals

The last month of this academic year :0

Since I got back from vacation mid-July, I didn’t make a July Goals notebook entry. Here’s an update about what I’ve done the past month + a few weeks!

June Goals Recap:

DNR:

  • I FINISHED AND SUBMITED THIS PAPER BEFORE MY BRAINS EXPLODED!
  • Decided to adjust the repository after we get reviewer comments

Virginica:

Manchester:

Gigas Broodstock:

  • Received PAXgene DNA kit for extractions

August Goals

Manchester:

  • Finish addressing reviewer comments and send manuscript back to JSR

Gigas:

  • Test DNA extraction protocol
  • Extract broodstock DNA

Virginica

  • Finish gene enrichment analysis
  • Update methods section
  • Write results, discussion, introduction, conclusion…I guess I should finish the paper
  • Draft PCSGA talk!

Other stuff:

  • Fill vacant FINS positions
  • Create SEAS microaggression training

// Please enable JavaScript to view the comments powered by Disqus.

from the responsible grad student https://ift.tt/2uXA9Og
via IFTTT

Sam’s Notebook: RNA Cleanup – Tanner Crab RNA

0000-0002-2747-368X

In a continued attempt to figure out what we can do about the tanner crab RNA, Steven tasked me with using an RNeasy Kit to cleanup some existing RNA.

Here’re the samples grace provided:

20180731_crab_RNA_cleanup_01.jpg

20180731_crab_RNA_cleanup_03.jpg

Sam’s Notebook: RNA Isolation – Tanner Crab Hemolymph Using RNeasy Plus Mini Kit

0000-0002-2747-368X

Tanner crab RNA has proved a bit troublesome. As such, Steven asked me to try isolating some RNA using the RNeasy Plus Mini Kit (Qiagen) to see how things would turn out.

Grace provided me with the following samples:

20180731_crab_RNA_iso_03.jpg