Laying down my monthly goals midway through March and towards the end of the quarter means that I need to be realistic/conservative.
Accomplished February/early March:
- Re-worked Oly parental OA exposure paper methods/results/discussion
- Sent Polydora paper to co-authors for final comments
- TA duties maintained
- Secured TA-ship for next quarter (shellfish biology with Jackie)
- Prepared presentations on Oly OA parental effects
- Presented twice at Aquaculture 2019 in New Orleans, the triennial NSA meeting. Presented Oly parental exposure & QuantSeq data in the Mollusc restoration session, and also in the Student Spotlight competition.
- Fulfilled my Student Recruit Co-chair duties at the NSA meeting!
- Identified how to use remaining grant money – will broaden my larval QuantSeq data, and perhaps do some samples from the 2018 winter temp/food experiment to look at gene expression in high/low performing larval families.
- Also decided to keep an eye open for opportunities to sequence adult somatic tissues after Oly OA exposure.
To do, rest of March:
- Outline of bypass proposal – start drafting during spring break downtime
- Refine discussion section of Oly 2017 paper, outline introduction
- NSA quarterly newsletter for Leroy
- Start testing QuantSeq analysis pipeline with Oly genome, Salmon (removing the multiple read/transcript auto-correct), Trinity’s isogroup designation file.
- Plan QuantSeq sample selection, RNA isolation, library prep, sequencing, etc.
- Help/facilitate Alanna with RNA extractions
- SO MUCH GRADING!!!!
- Clean up teaching lab
- Revise/finalize cover letter for Polydora paper