Kaitlyn’s notebook: Organizing geoduck methods and juvenile survival

I’m working on writing out the methods done with the broodstock (collection, water chemistry, experiment duration, and timing of sampling). Perhaps a timeline of the experiment would be better represented in a visual rather than a document (or at least condensing the current timelines/logs to one document)? There is a new, separate document now to keep track of the tasks needed to work toward sample analysis/manuscript development for the geoduck samples.

Additionally, I’m attempting to write up results on survival and histology. However, I think it would be best to get quantitative measurements for histology (e.g., oocyte size and % connective tissue). When I trained Eileen on water chemistry, we discussed the possibility of me using the Padilla-Gamiño microscope. I followed up with her and am waiting to hear back. Meanwhile, color deconvultion via ImageJ plugins or Qupath has allowed me to calculate the correct stain vectors to separate out the hematoxylin stained vs. eosin, but I don’t know how to or if I can convert that to percentage/area/pixels to compare those differences. I am continuing to look through literature to best solve this issue and give a more accurate measurement for any developmental differences between treatments shown in histology samples.

I’m also working on measurements of juvenile geoduck that were reared in the hatchery (as opposed to those outplanted in Sequim Bay) based on the images we took. Grace and I took counted survivors, removed dead geoduck and all sand, and attempted to remove any ciliate/algal growth on the juveniles. We hoped that sand removal would slow or prevent detritus buildup, however it looked like nearly all geoduck were affected when we visited the hatchery on May 2.

  • Some questions for Brent:Is it possible that the ciliates are setting on just the geoduck now rather than being dispersed between setting on the geoduck and the sand? In which case, should we add the sand back in?

Here is the survival data from April 26, 2019:

Order Tank Parental Exposure Alive Dead found
1 H0_T E*A 7 8
2 H0_B E*E 9 3
3 H1_T E*A 15 7
4 H1_B A*A 16 9
5 H2_T E*A 14 6
6 H2_B A*A 12 8
7 H3_T E*A 14 3
8 H3_B E*E 13 1

We also rearranged the heath trays because it appeared that there was uneven buildup on the bottom trays as opposed to the top trays:

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

The tides are at their lowest point right now so I reached out to Kelly to check on the outplanted geoduck as well. Shelly and I will go out to Pt. Whitney at the end of this week to setup a new pump so we can reduce feed levels for the setters and finish titrating poisoned water samples. Water chemistry may be taken again either that day, or early next week, and I am going to help Shelly extract DNA from sea lice infected salmon skin next week.